Carrownskehaun

Civil Parish of Crossboyne

Pauline Connolly

Carrownskehaun Satellite View
Google Maps
My location
Get Directions

Carrownskeahaun

Ceathrú an Sceitheáin, quarter of the wing

Carrownskehaun is situated in the civil parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, County Mayo. It is located in the south west extremity of the parish, bounded on the north by The Heath, on the east by Ballyglass, on the south by Liskeevy parish (County Galway) and on the west by Kilcommon parish.

Ordnance Field Name Books 1838 cited the spelling of this townland as Carrownskehaun. The Irish form of the name they provided was Ceathramhadh a’ Sgeitháin. According to this source, Carrownskehaun was the property of C Blake (Merlin Park). It consisted of an area of 241 acres 1 rood 18 perches which included about 55 acres of bog.

Old Age Pension Search Forms 1851

Winifred McDonagh – Application Number C20 4573

Winifred McDonagh applied for the pension on the 27th March 1920. At the time of the application, the address she supplied was Mrs Winifred Giblin, Belmont, Milltown, County Galway. According to Winifred her parents were Patrick and Bridget McDonagh (nee Hughes). Winifred was awarded an annual pension of £27-25-0.

Honor Heaney – Application Number C21 841

Honor Heaney applied for the pension on the 31st January 1921. At the time of the application, the address she supplied was Mrs Honor Flattery, Drim, Milltown, Tuam, County Galway. According to Honor, her parents were John and Mary Heaney (nee McManus). The following were recorded on the census form: Bridget (12), Kate (10), John (6), Denis (8), Mary (4), Honor (1), Ellen, Marget [sic], Winifred and Michael.

Ellen Fitzpatrick – Application Number C21 3412

Ellen Fitzpatrick applied for the pension on the 10th May 1921. At the time of the application, the address she supplied was Mrs Ellen Ruane, Ballyglass, Scardaune, Claremorris, County Mayo. According to Ellen, her parents were John and Bridget Fitzpatrick (nee Joyce). Honor was recorded on the census search form. An annual pension of £27-25-0 was awarded to Ellen.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

Charles Blake owned all the land in Carrownskehaun in 1855. He rented the full 241 acres 1 rood 18 acres to the following tenants: Patrick Heaney, Thomas Heaney, John Heaney, John Heaney (Denis), Martin Heaney, James Heaney, Thomas Heaney, James Heaney, James Walsh, John Walsh, Patrick McDonagh and Michael Mullahy. Patrick Heaney and Thomas Heaney together paid an annual rent of £40 for 81 acres 0 roods 10 perches of land and herd’s house. John Heaney paid £23 for 44 acres 3 roods 28 perches of land, house and offices. John Heaney (Denis) paid £12-10-0 for 24 acres 2 roods 18 perches of land, house and offices. Martin Heaney paid £6-15-0 for 15 acres 0 roods 9 perches of land. James Heaney paid £1-10-0 for 2 acres 0 roods 37 perches of land and house. Thomas Heaney and James Heaney together paid £11 for 17 acres 2 roods 28 perches of land. James Walsh and John Walsh together paid £23 for 33 acres 2 roods 28 perches of land. Patrick McDonagh and Michael Mullahy paid £15-15-0 for 22 acres 0 roods 20 perches of land, house and offices. The overall annual rate paid was £133-10-0.

Census 1901

There were 4 households and 1 shop in Carrownskehaun in 1901. There were 30 occupants, 16 were male and 14 were female who were all Roman Catholic. Nearly everyone was born in County Mayo except for Peter and Nora Heany [sic]; they were born in County Galway. The census forms which were collected on the 13th April 1901 showed that the 4 houses had walls made of stone, brick or concrete and their roofs were made of perishable material. The shop had walls and a roof made of permanent material. Overall, there were 21 farm buildings (4 stables, 5 cow houses, 5 piggeries, 1 fowl house, 4 barns and 2 sheds). The heads of households were: Peter Hughes, Norah Heany, Martin Heaney, Richard Walshe and Bridget Heaney.

Peter Hughes (41) was married to Mary (40). They were both shopkeepers who could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. The shop was listed as a 2nd class building with 5 front windows and the house had 5 rooms. There was no landholder documented but there was 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed recorded.

Norah Heany (38) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 13 children. John (18), Henry (15), Denis (14), Mary (12), Celia (11), Norah (10), Martin (8), Michael (7) and Nellie (6) were listed as scholars. The 4 youngest children were: James (4), Kate (3), Patrick (2) and Winifred (5 months). The 9 eldest members of the family could read and write. The younger children were not able to read at this stage. The 6 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. Everyone aged between 10 and 3 years of age spoke English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Norah Heany owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Martin Heaney (50) was married to Winnie (50). Martin was a farmer. Winnie had no occupation listed. They lived with their 2 unmarried children: John (20) and Winnie (18).  Martin’s brother Michael (54) who worked as a farmer was recorded on the census form. John and his sister Winnie were the only members of the household who could read and write. The entire family spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Martin Heaney owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Richard Walshe (60) worked as a farmer. He was married to Ellen (60) who had no occupation recorded. They lived with their 2 unmarried children: Michael (20) and Norah (18). Michael listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Norah recorded her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Although Richard and Ellen could not read or write, Michael and Norah were able to read and write. All of the Walshe family spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and the house had 1 room. Bridget Heaney owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Bridget Heaney (60) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 3 unmarried sons. Patrick (35) and Martin (27) worked as farmers. James (31) was a curate in the Roman Catholic Church. Mary (45) was Bridget’s stepdaughter. Although Mary and Bridget could not read or write, the rest of the household were able to read and write. All occupants spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 1st class house with 7 front windows and the house had 7 rooms. Bridget Heaney owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.

Census 1911

There were 5 households in Carrownskehaun in 1911.  There were 18 residents, 10 were male and 10 were female. They were all born in County Mayo. The heads of households were: Nora Heaney, Peter Hughes, Martin Heany, Richard Walsh and Bridget Heaney.  The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete. Nearly all house roofs were made of perishable material. Peter Hughes house had a roof made of permanent material. Overall, there were a total of 21 farm buildings (3 stables, 4 cow houses, 3 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 4 barns, 1 store and 4 cart houses).

Nora Heaney (46) was a widowed woman who lived with her 5 children: Ellen (16), James (14), Kate (12), Patrick F (10) and Winifred (9). James was the only member who had an occupation recorded. He listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. The entire family could read and write. Ellen spoke Irish and English. There was no language recorded for her children. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Nora Heaney owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.

Peter Hughes (56) lived with his wife Mary (65). They both worked as shopkeepers. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 21 years and they had no children. They could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. Peter and Mary lived in a 2nd class house with 6 front windows and the house had 7 rooms. Peter Hughes owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 piggery, 1 barn, 1 store and 1 cart house.

Martin Heaney (69) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Winifred (70). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 17 years. They lived with their 2 unmarried children: John (28) and Winifred (26). John worked with his father. Winifred had no occupation listed.  Michael’s brother Martin (70) worked as an agricultural labourer. Although Winifred could not read, her husband and the rest of the household were able to read and write. The whole family spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and the house had 3 rooms. Martin Heaney owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Richard Walsh (80) lived with his wife Ellen (79). Richard listed his occupation as a shepherd. At the time of the 1911 census, Richard and Ellen were married for 47 years had 6 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. Their 3 children were documented on the census form. Pat (46) and Michael (34) were unmarried and worked as shepherds. Ellen Murphy (37) had no occupation listed and at this time was married for 3 years but had no children. They lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and the house had 3 rooms. Terence Heaney owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 cart house.

Bridget Heaney (75) was a widowed woman who had no occupation listed. It was recorded that she was married for 42 years, had 10 children, 9 of whom were still alive at this time. She lived with her unmarried son Martin (40) who worked as a farmer. Bridget and Martin could read and write. Bridget spoke Irish and English. Martin just spoke English. They lived in a 1st class house with 1 front window and the house had 9 rooms. Bridget Heaney owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.

Back to top

This page was added on 30/03/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *