Civil Parish of Liskeevy
Cloonacurry is situated in the civil parish of Liskeevy, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is situated in the south east extremity of the parish bound on the east and west by the parish of Tuam and on the north and east by the townland of Kilprausogue and the parish of Tuam.
The Down Survey map 1641 (pre Cromwell) states that the owner of Cluncurrey was Patrick Darcey (a catholic) and the Down Survey map 1670 (post Cromwell) shows that ownership changed to William Bourke (a catholic). 35 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 39 plantation of profitable land and 39 of forfeited planation acres are specified.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838 gives various spellings of the townland: Cloonnacorra, Cluain na gCorra, Clun na g-Corra, Cloonahurry, Cloonacurry, Cloncorry and Cloncurragh. Cloonacurry was the property of John Bodkin Esq M.P of Quarrymount. It contains 151 acres including approximately 20 acres of bog and 17 acres of rough pasture.
Cloonacurry consisted of an area of 126 acres 3 roods 21 perches. In 1841, there was a population of 101 residents, 58 were male and 43 were female who inhabited 17 houses. By 1851, there was a significant decrease in population to 17 people, 11 were male and 6 were female who occupied 2 houses. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £39.
According to Griffith’s Valuation, 1855, John Bodkin leased 120 acres, 3 roods and 21 perches to one tenant called Thomas Hally with a total annual valuation of £50 0s 0d.
The census forms that were collected on the 24th April 1901 showed that there were 2 households in Cloonacurry in 1901. There were 8 residents, 5 were male and 3 were female. Each occupant was a Roman Catholic, could speak Irish and English and they were born in Co Galway. The heads of households were: Richard Molloy and Austin Joyce. The 2 houses were built as private dwellings. The roof of each house was made of perishable material while the house walls were made of permanent material.
Richard Molloy (60) worked as a herd and was married to Mary (60). Mary’s occupation is listed as a herd’s wife. They had 2 children: Thomas (23) recorded his occupation as a herd’s son and Malachy (26) worked as a herd. Their daughter-in-law Bridget (26), Malachy’s wife also lived in the house. Richard lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the family occupied 3 rooms. The owner of the land on which the house was situated was Stephen McDonnell along with 3 farm buildings.
Austin Joyce (72) worked as a general labourer and was married to Mary (70). They lived with their unmarried son John (25) who also worked as a general labourer. Austin lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and his house had 3 rooms. Austin Joyce owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.
The census forms that were collected on the 4th and 7th April 1911 showed that there were 2 households in 1911. There were 16 residents, 8 were male and 8 were female. Each occupant was a Roman Catholic. Everyone in Cloonacurry were born in Co Galway. The heads of households were: Richard Mulloy and Mathew Monaghan. The 2 houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of permanent material while the roof of each house was made of perishable material. Overall, there were a total of 8 farm buildings – 1 stable, 1 cow house, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 1 barn and 1 cart house.
Richard Mulloy (73), who worked as a shepard and farmer lived with his wife Mary (76). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 49 years. They had 1 son Malachey (41), a shepherd who was married to Bridget (40). Malachey and Bridget had 5 children, 5 of whom were still living in 1911: Mary Anne (8), Bridget (7), Catherine (5), Ellen (4) and Thomas (1). The family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and they occupied 3 rooms. Richard Mulloy owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.
Mathew Monaghan (45) worked as an agricultural labourer and lived with his wife Catherine (43). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 14 years. They had 6 children, 5 of whom were still living in 1911: Thomas (13), John (12), Mary (9), Patrick (7) and Mathew (2). Stephen McDonnell owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 piggery and 1 fowl house
1901: Molloy = 2nd class house with 3 front windows/1911: Mulloy = 3rd class house with 2 front windows