Civil Parish of Dunmore
Carrowbaun is situated in the civil parish and barony of Dunmore, County Galway. Carrowbaun is located in the northwest extremity of the parish, bounded on the north by the parish of Addergoole and on the west by the townland of Carrowreagh, south and east by the townlands of Quarrymount, Knockballyvisteal and Baunmore.
The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) under the names ‘Carontroly’, ‘Carokeele’ and ‘Kilbarne’ states that the owner was a catholic man called William McShane Bourke. The Down Survey Map 1670 (post Cromwell) shows that ownership of Carrowbaun changed to a protestant man called Mathew Hore. 77 acres of unprofitable land and 246 acres of both profitable and forfeited land were specified.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838 provides various spellings of the townland: ‘Carrowbane’, ‘Carrowbaun’, ‘Ceathramhadh Ban’ and ‘Carrabane’. It showed that Carrowbaun was the property of John Bodkin, Esq., M.P of Quarrymount which comprised of 156¼ acres including approximately 35 acres of bog.
Census 1841 – 1851: In 1841, the population in Carrowbaun was 3 people, 2 were male and 1 was female who inhabited 1 household. In 1851, 1 inhabited household still remained with 9 people, 6 were male and 3 were female. The Poor Law Valuation rate paid in 1851 was £71.
Griffith’s Valuation 1855: According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, John Bodkin leased 156 acres, 1 rood and 35 perches to one tenant called Walter Blake who paid a total annual valuation of £99.
There were 2 households listed in the townland of Carrowbaun in 1901. There were 6 inhabitants, 3 were male and 3 were female. The residents were born in County Galway and were Roman Catholic. Everyone in Carrowbaun could speak Irish and English. The head of the households were: James Mannion and Thomas Leonard. The census forms were collected on the 14th April 1901 showed that all of the houses in Carrowbaun were built as private dwellings. There were a total of 5 farm buildings – 1 stable, 2 cow houses, 1 piggery and 1 barn.
James Mannion, a farmer was 65 years old. James was married to Margaret who was 60 years old and listed her occupation as a farmer’s wife. They lived with their 2 unmarried children: Margaret was 18 years old and Frances was 16 years old who listed their occupations as a farmer’s daughter and a farmer’s son. James could not read while Margaret could read and the 2 children were able to read and write. The Mannion family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. The house roof and walls were made of permanent material. James Mannion owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.
Thomas Leonard, aged 40 years old worked as a farmer. He could not read. He was married to Mary who was 38 years old. Mary could read and write. She listed her occupation as a farmer’s wife. Thomas and Mary lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house walls were made of stone, concrete or brick while the roof was made of perishable material. Thomas Leonard owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn.
There were 2 households which were built as private dwellings in the townland of Carrowbaun in 1911. All occupants spoke Irish and English. The inhabitants were Roman Catholic. The head of the households were: Thomas Leonard and Margaret Mannion. The census forms which were collected on the 13th April 1911 showed that there were a total of 7 farm buildings – 1 stable, 1 cow house, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses and 1 cart house.
Thomas Leonard was 50 years old. He worked as a farmer. He was married to Bridget who was also 50 years old. They were married for 14 years and had no children in 1911. Although Thomas could not read, Bridget could read and write. Thomas and Bridget lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. The house roof was made of perishable material and the house walls were made of permanent material. Thomas Leonard owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 cart house.
Margaret Mannion, a widow was 73 years old. She did not list any occupation. Margaret could read and write. Margaret lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. The house roof was made of perishable material while the house walls were made of permanent material. Frank Mannion owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.
The ordnance survey six inch map (1840) shows Carrowbaun was bordered by Carrowreagh, Dawros Upper, Knock Ballyvishteal, Baunmore and Quarrymount. The road that now connects Carrowbaun and Carrowreagh did not exist at this time.