Civil Parish of Tuam
Cloonmoyle is situated in the civil parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is located in the north end of the parish, bounded on the north by Lisconly & the parish of Liskeevy, on the west by Tonemoyle, on the east by Leanamore and on the south by Castletown and Meelick West.
The down survey map 1670 under the name ‘Clonmough’ shows that Gerald Dillon owned the land. 18 acres of unprofitable land and 67 acres of both profitable and unprofitable land were specified.
O’Donovan’s field name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Cloonmoyle, Clonmweel, Cloonmeel and Clonemaile. According to this source, Cloonmoyle was the property of George Vesey.
Census 1841 – 1851
There were a total of 11 people in Cloonmoyle in 1841, 5 were male and 6 were female who occupied 1 house. By 1851, the population decreased to 3 people, 2 were male and 1 was female who occupied 1 house. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £7
Griffith’s Valuation 1855
George Vesey leased a total of 192 acres 0 roods 20 perches to Laurence Mullins who paid an annual rent of £85-10-0 for land.3.
Census 1901 and 1911
We have searched the 1901 and 1911 census for Cloonmoyle and have not found any inhabitiants living in the area during this period.
Add a comment about this page