Lisconly

Civil Parish of Tuam

Pauline Connolly

Lisconly Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Lisconly

Lios conla, ringfort, enclosure

Lisconly is situated in the civil parish of Tuam, County Galway, barony of Dunmore. It is located in the north end of the parish, bounded on the west, north and east by the parish of Liskeevy and the townland Ardnagall and on the south by the townlands of Cloonmweel and Leanamore.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) under the name ‘Lissenarne’ shows that the land was owned by Sir Dominick Browne, a protestant. Ownership changed in 1670 (post Cromwell) to Lord John Kingston who was also a protestant. 102 acres of both profitable and forfeited plantation land are specified.

 

O’Donovan’s field name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Lios Conla, Lisconly and Lissconly. The property of It contains statute measure including about 12 acres of bog. There is an ancient fort in the central part of this townland and a road passing nearly from north to south. In the north end of the parish, Barony of Dunmore, bounded on the west, north, and east by the parish of Liskeevy and townland of Ardnagoul, and on the south by the townlands of Cloonmweel and Leanamore.

 

Census 1841 – 1851

Lisconly consisted of an area of 61 acres 0 roods 7 perches. In 1841, there was a total population of 18 people, 10 were male and 8 were female who occupied 3 houses. In 1851, the population decreased to 14 residents, 8 were male and 6 were female. During this time, there were 3 inhabited houses and 1 house which was unoccupied. The Poor Law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £21-15-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to griffith’s valuation 1855, George Vesey owned a total area of 61 acres 0 roods 7 perches. He leased tenements to the following: Owen Boyle, Matthew Hynes, Bridget Burke and John Cleary. Owen Boyle paid an annual rent of £0-15-0 for 17 acres 3 roods 11 perches of house office and land. Matthew Hynes paid a rent of 0-5-0 for 18 acres 2 roods 35 perches of house, offices and land. Bridget Burke paid a rent of 0-13-0 of house and office. John Cleary paid a rent of £7-10-0 for 24 acres 2 roods 1 perch of house, offices and land. The overall total annual valuation rate paid was £27-3-0.

Census 1901

The census forms which were collected on the 3rd April 1901 showed that there were 4 households in Lisconly. There were 20 residents, 11 were male and 9 were female. The occupants were Roman Catholic. They were born in County Galway. The heads of households were: Bridget Boyle, John Cleary and Michael Hynes. The 3 houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of permanent material while the roof of each house was made of perishable material. Overall, there were a total of 10 farm buildings – 2 stables, 3 cow houses, 2 piggeries and 2 barns.

Bridget Boyle (60) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 4 unmarried children. Thomas (25) and Denis (22) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Ellin (19) and Honor (27) documented their occupations as farmer’s daughters. John Boyle (96) was also recorded on the census form. He was Bridget’s brother-in-law who was an unmarried retired farmer. Although Bridget and John could not read, the rest of the household were able to read and write. All occupants spoke Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Bridget Boyle owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

John Cleary (75) worked as a farmer. He was married to Margaret (60) who did not have any occupation listed. They lived with their son Malachy (35) who recorded his occupation as a farmer’s son, daughter-in-law Honor (30) and 3 grandchildren: Margaret (4), Thomas (2) and James (3 months). The 4 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. Although John, Margaret and the 3 grandchildren could not read, Malachy and Honor were able to read and write. John Cleary owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn.

Michael Hynes (50) listed his occupation as a farmer. He lived with his wife Honor (31) who did not record any occupation. They lived with their 5 children: Mathias (11), Kate (10), James (7), Mary (3) and Michael (1). Mathias, Kate and James were scholars. The 4 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. Michael Hughes owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Census 1911

There were 3 households in Lisconly in 1911. There were 26 residents, 16 were male and 10 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic and were born in County Galway. The house walls were made of permanent material while the 3 house roofs were made of perishable material. Overall, there were 12 farm buildings – 2 stables, 3 cow houses, 3 piggeries, 2 fowl houses and 2 barns.

Michael Hynes (65) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Honor (60) who did not have any occupation documented. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 22 years, had 9 children, 8 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 8 single children. Matthew (21) and James (18) recorded their occupations as farmer’s sons. Kate (20) did not have any occupation recorded. Mary (15), Michael (13) and John (10) were scholars. Delia (7) and Thomas (3) had no occupation listed. The 6 eldest members of the house spoke Irish and English. Michael, Honor and their 2 youngest children could not read or write, however the rest of the household were able to read and write. They family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Hynes owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Thomas Boyle (35) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Kate (28). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 2 years, had 2 children, 2 of whom were still alive in 1911: Delia (1) and James (2 months). Thomas’s mother, Bridget Boyle (53) also lived in the house. She was a widow who did have any occupation listed. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Bridget Boyle owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

John Cleary (88) was a widower who worked as a farmer. He lived with his son Malachy (51), daughter-in-law Honor (45) and 7 grandchildren: Maggie (13), Thomas (12), James (10), Malachy (7), John (5), Martin (3) and Ellen (1). At the time of the 1911 census, Malachy and Honor were married for 15 years, had 7 children, 7 of whom were still alive in 1911. Thomas and James were scholars. Martin Cleary (40), John’s son also lived in the house. He was a single man who worked as a farm labourer. The 6 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. John and the 3 youngest grandchildren could not read while the rest of the household were able to read and write. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. John Cleary owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

 Monuments

 

Back to top 

This page was added on 31/10/2014.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *