Cartron

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Sandra Noone

Cartron Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Cartron

Cartún, a cartron

Cartron is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is located in the west central part of the parish, bounded on the west by Poulaturick and Ummeracly East, on the north by Gurtnaloura and Milltown, on the east Dawrus Lower and on the south by the parish of Liskeevy.

The Down Survey Map under the name ‘Cunjolta and Shanvallymore’ shows that the land was owned by Lord Birmingham, a protestant in 1641 (pre Cromwell) and the land was owned by Martin Kirrowan, a catholic in 1670 (post Cromwell).

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provide various spellings of this townland: Cartoon, Cartún, Corthoon and Carthune. According to this source, Cartron was owned by William Henry Hancock of Carrowntryla which contained 145 ½ acres statue measure, all arable land.

Census 1841 – 1851

Cartron consisted of an area of 145 acres, 2 roods, 13 perches. In 1841, there were a total of 49 people, 23 were male and 26 were female who occupied a total of 10 houses. In 1851 the total of people decreased to 34 people, 13 were male and 21 were female who occupied 6 houses. The poor law valuation paid in 1851 was £63-10-0.

Griffiths Valuation

According to Griffiths 1855, most of the land was owned by Reverend John McHale. He Leased 129 acres, 3 roods, 0 perches of herd’s, house and land to William Linskey. William Linskey paid an annual rent of £71-10-0 for this area. Richard Kirwan owned a smaller area which he leased to Edmund Lovelock. Edmund Lovelock paid £12-5-0 for 15 acres, 2 roods, 39 perches of house, offices and land. He also paid £2-2-0 for 16 perches of house, crane and garden. Martin O’Curran occupied a house which he paid rent of £1-5-0 for. Richard Kirwan retained the cottiers house for himself which he paid £0-10-0 for. The total valuation paid in Cartron was £87-12-0.

Census 1901

There were a total of 5 houses, 1 public house and 2 national schools in Cartron in 1901.There were 37 residents in total, 21 were male and 16 were female. All the residents were Roman Catholic. Most residents were born in County Galway except for John J Sheridan, Brigid Sheridan, Honor Durcan, Augustine Guinan and Kate Doyle who were born in County Mayo. The heads of the households were: Patrick Waldron, John Flaherty, Michael Diskin, James F Kelly, John J Sheridan and William Molloy. The census forms that were collected on the 6th of April 1901 showed that all the houses were listed as private dwellings. Overall there were a total of 19 farm buildings.

Patrick Waldron (45) was married to Bridget (42). Patrick worked as a shepherd and there was no occupation recorded for Bridget. They lived with their 6 children. Delia (18), worked as a seamstress. Mary (17), Annie (16) and Margaret (14) did not document their occupation. Michael (13) and Katie (9) were listed as scholars. The whole family could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. The Waldron family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house walls were made of permanent materials (stone, bricks or concrete) and the roof was made of perishable material (thatch or wood).  Farrell McDonnell owned the land the house was situated along with 2 farm buildings.

John Flaherty (50) was married to Marie (50). John worked as a tailor and there was no occupation documented for Marie. They lived with their 2 children. Michael (20) also worked as a tailor. Maggie (14) did no list her occupation. All the family could read and write. They spoke Irish and English. The Flaherty family lived in a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. Farrell Mc Donnell owned the land the house was situated along with 1 farm building.

Michael Diskin (48) listed his occupation as a clergyman. He spoke Irish and English. He could also read and write. Margaret Kelly (24), Peter Mullen (16) and Nora Connolly (12) were recorded on the census form. Margaret who was unmarried worked as a general servant, she was able to read and write. She could speak English. Peter listed his occupation as a general servant, he could read and write. He spoke Irish and English. Nora was Michael’s niece, she could read and write. She spoke both Irish and English. The occupants lived in 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 5 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. Michael Diskin owned the land his house was situated along with 6 farm buildings.

James F Kelly (34) recorded his occupation as a Roman Catholic clergyman, he could read and write. He could speak Irish and English. Mary O’Neil (42) was recorded on the census form. Mary who was a widow listed her occupation as a housekeeper, she could read and write. She could speak Irish and English. The occupants lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house walls were made of permanent materials and the roof was made of perishable materials. M. J. Ruin [sic] owned the land the house was situated along with 4 farm buildings.

John J Sheridan (42) was married to Brigid (40). John J documented his occupation as a national school teacher, there was no occupation recorded for Brigid. They lived with their 5 children Margaret (14), Thomas (12), John (10), Michael (6), and Brigid (4). Robert Kenny and Honor Durcan [sic] were recorded on the census form. Margaret, Thomas, John and Michael were listed as scholars. Robert who was a married boarder worked as a civil servant in the post office. Honor who was unmarried listed her occupation as a general domestic servant. Naturally Brigid could not read at this early age but the rest of the household could read and write. The whole household spoke Irish and English. The occupants lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 5 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials.  Farrell McDonnell owned the land the house was situated along with 1 farm building.

William Molloy (27) documented his occupation as a business manager. There were 7 boarders recorded on the census form: John Reddington (23), Michael Noone (23), Francis Kilcool (21), James Murray (17), Patrick Connor (18), Augustine Guinan (15) and Michael Gormely (15). John Reddington, Michael Noone, James Murray, Patrick Connor and Augustine Guinan were all listed as grocer’s assistant. Francis Kilcool and Michael Gormely worked as draper’s assistants. John Walshe (18) and Kate Doyle (30) were 2 servants. John Walshe worked as a general labourer and Kate Doyle worked as a domestic cook. The whole household could read and write. All the male members of the household spoke Irish and English, Kate just spoke English. Everyone was listed as been unmarried. The occupants of the house lived in 1st class with 14 front windows and the house had 9 rooms. The  public house roof and walls were made of permanent materials. Farrell McDonnell owned the land the house was situated along with 5 buildings.

Census 1911

There were a total of 4 inhabited houses and 1 uninhabited house, 2 shops and 1 public house in Cartron in 1911. There were 33 residents in total, 20 were male and 13 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics. Most of the residents were born in County Galway except for 8 people. Johnny Flaherty was born in England. Maria Molloy, John J Sheridan, Brigid Sheridan, and Kate Doyle were all born in County Mayo. Nellie O Farrell was born in County Roscommon. Agnes Mary McCauley was born in County Sligo. James Baggott was born in County Carlow. The heads of the households were: Bridget Waldron, John Flaherty, William Molloy, Thomas Acton, John J Sheridan Michael Diskin and James Baggott. The census forms that were collected on the 13th of April 1911 showed that the 5 houses were listed private dwellings. Overall there were a total of 22 farm buildings (2 stables, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 3 cow houses, 3 piggeries, 5 fowl houses, 2 turf houses, 2 sheds and 3 stores).

Bridget Waldron (63) was a widow. Bridget documented her occupation as a shopkeeper, she could not read. She lived with her 3 children Delia (28), Michael (25) and Catherine (18). There was no occupation recorded for Delia or Catherine. Michael listed his occupation as a general labourer. All 3 children could read and write. Bridget could speak Irish and English but there was no language documented for her children. The Waldron family lived in a 2nd class shop with 3 front windows and the shop had 3 rooms. The shop walls were made of permanent materials, the roof was made of permanent materials. Farrell McDonnell owned the land the shop was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

John Flaherty (71) was married to Maria (71). At the time of 1911 census they were married for 41 years, had 7 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. John listed his occupation as a tailor and a shop keeper. There was no occupation documented for Maria. John could not read and Maria could read only. They lived with their daughter Maggie (24) and grandson Johnny (10). There was no occupation recorded for Maggie. Johnny was listed as a scholar. Maggie and Johnny could read and write. The whole household spoke Irish and English. The Flaherty family lived in a 2nd class shop with 5 front windows and the house had 5 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. Farrell McDonnell owned the land the house was situated along with 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

William Molloy (38) was married to Maria (31). At the time of 1911 census they were married for 6 years, had 4 children, 3 whom were still alive in 1911. William documented his occupation as a commercial traveller for Leas & Wines. Maria recorded her occupation as a national school teacher. William and his wife Maria could read and write. They spoke Irish and English. They lived with their 3 sons William John (4), Thomas Francis (1) and Gerard Malachy (5 months). William John was listed as a scholar, he could not read and write but he could speak Irish and English. Naturally Thomas Francis and Gerard Malachy could not read and write at this early stage. Nellie O Farrell (14) and Agnes Mary McCauley (26) were recorded on the census form. Nellie was William’s niece, she was listed as a scholar. Nellie could read and write. She spoke Irish and English. Agnes Mary was unmarried listed her occupation as domestic servant, she could read and write. There was no language recorded for Agnes Mary. The occupants lived in a 2nd class house with 5 front windows and the house had 6 rooms.  The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. William Molloy owned the land his house was situated along with 1 cow house.

Thomas Acton (55) was unmarried and listed his occupation as a farmer. Thomas could read and write. He spoke Irish and English. Thomas lived in 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. Thomas Acton owned the land his house was situated along 1 fowl house and 1 turf house.

John Joseph Sheridan (52) was married to Brigid (50). At the time of the 1911 census they were married for 28 years, had 5 children, 4 whom were still alive in 1911.  John Joseph documented his occupation as a national school teacher and a farmer. There was no occupation recorded for Brigid.  They lived with their daughter Brigid (13) and foster son Eddy Lyons (12). Brigid and Eddy were listed as scholars. Everyone could read and write. The whole household spoke Irish and English. The occupants lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 8 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. John J Sheridan owned the land his house was situated along with 1 fowl house.

Michael Diskin (60) was the parish priest and worked as a farmer. Brigid Clarke (17), Mary Anne Quinn (36) and Danial [sic] Byrne (16) were also recorded on the census form. Brigid Clarke was a visitor to the household. Mary Anne who was unmarried listed her occupation as a domestic servant. Danial [sic] Byrne documented his occupation as a general domestic servant. The whole household could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. The occupants lived in a 1st class house with 6 front windows and the house had 10 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. Michael Diskin owned the land his was situated along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 1 cow house, 1 turf house and 1 shed.

James Baggott (27) managed Poery Hardware Drapery, where he worked as a publican clerk. Michael Nue [sic] (22), Michael Mannion (21), Peter Murray (21), James Colgan (20), James McGagh (19), James Godwen (16) James Connolly (14) and Kate Doyle (70) were also recorded on the census form. Michael Nue [sic], James Colgan worked as assistants and James Godwen worked as a apprentice in the spirit trade. Michael Mannion worked as an assistant and James Connolly worked as a apprentice in a drapery. Peter Murray worked as an assistant and James McGagh worked as a apprentice in a grocery/hardware. Kate Doyle listed her occupation as a domestic servant. Everyone in the household was single. All the male members of the household could read and write. Kate could not read. The whole house spoke Irish and English. The occupants lived in a 1st class house with 23 front windows and the house had 9 rooms. The house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. Farrell McDonnell owned the land the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 shed and 3 stores.

Monuments

 

Back to top 
This page was added on 02/03/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *