Gortnaloura

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Sandra Noone

Gortnaloura Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Gortnaloura

Gort na Lobhra, Field of the lepers

Gortnaloura is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, in the south west end of the parish, bounded on the north and east by Drum and Cloonacrusha [sic], on the south by Corthoon [sic] and on the west by Poulaturick [sic].

The Down Survey Map name under the name ‘Cunjolta and Shanvallymore’ shows that the land was owned by Lord Birmingham, a protestant in 1641 (pre Cromwell) and the land was owned by Martin Kirrowan, a catholic in 1670 (post Cromwell).

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838 provide various spellings of this townland: Gortnaloura, Gort na Labhra and Gurtnaloura. According to this source, Gortnaloura was owned by Major Patrick Kerwin of Dublin which contained 67 acres statue measure including 7 ½ acres of bog.

Census 1841-1851

Gortnaloura consisted of an area of 217 acres, 3 roods, 19 perches. In 1841, there were a total 43 people, 18 were male and 25 were female who occupied a total of 7 houses and there was 1 uninhabited house. In 1851 the total of people decreased to 28, 14 were male and 14 were female who occupied a total of 5 houses and there was 1 house uninhabited. The poor law valuation paid in 1851 was £30.

Griffiths Valuation

According to Griffiths 1855, the land was owned by Richard Kirwan. He leased tenements to Michael Flattery and Martin Connolly. Michael Flattery paid an annual rent £24 for 36 acres, 2 roods, 14 perches of house, offices and land. Martin Connolly paid £16-5-0 for 30 acres, 1 rood, 33 perches of house, offices and land.

Census 1901

There were a total of 3 houses in Gortnaloura in 1901. There were a total of 17 residents, 10 were male and 7 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics. The heads of the households were John Martin, Michael Connolly and Michael Turner. The census forms that were collected on the 6th of April showed that the 3 houses were listed as private dwellings. John Martin’s house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. The other 2 house walls were made of permanent materials and the house roofs were made of perishable materials. Overall there were a total of 10 farm buildings.

John Martin (42) was married to Mary (37). John documented his occupation as a farmer. Mary did not record her occupation. John and Mary lived with their 6 children. Eliza (11), Patrick (10), Sebina (8), Michael (6), and Mary (4) were all listed as scholars. The 7 eldest members of the family could read and write. Naturally at this early age James (3) could not read. John and Mary spoke Irish and English. The Martin family, were all born in County Mayo. The Martin Family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 1 room. John Martin owned the land his house was situated along with 2 farm buildings.

Michael Connolly (55) was married to Bridget (51). Michael recorded his occupation as a farmer. There was no occupation documented for Bridget. Michael and Bridget lived with their 2 unmarried sons. Martin (25) and Edward (22) documented their occupation as farmer sons. The whole family could read and write. They all spoke Irish and English. The Connolly family, were all born in County Galway. The Connolly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Connolly owned the land his house was situated along with 5 farm buildings.

Michael Turner (58) was married to Bridget (22). Michael documented his occupation as a general laborer. Bridget did not record her occupation. Michael and Bridget lived with their 3 children. Michael (6) and Delia (5) were listed as scholars. The 3 eldest members of the family could read and write. Delia could read only. Naturally at this early age James (1) could not read. Michael and Bridget spoke Irish and English. The Turner family, were all born in County Galway. The Turner family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Michael Connolly owned the land the house was situated along with 3 farm buildings.

Census 1911

There were a total of 2 houses and 1 shop in Gortnaloura in 1911. There were 21 residents in total, 10 were male and 11 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics. Most of the residents were born in County Galway except for John, Mary, Patrick Austin, James, Lizzie W, and Mary F Martin were, all born in County Mayo. Kathleen Boyle was born in County Roscommon. The heads of the households were: John Martin, Patrick Michael Turner and Michael Connolly. The census forms that were collected on the 13th of April showed that the 3 houses were listed as private dwellings.  Overall there were a total of 12 farm buildings (2 stables, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 2 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 2 barns and 2 cart houses).

John Martin (52) was married to Mary (48). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married 22 years, had 9 children, 8 of whom, were still alive in 1911. John recorded his occupation as a farmer. There was not occupation recorded for Mary. John and Mary lived with their 6 children. Lizzie W (21) did not document her occupation. Patrick Austin (20) recorded his occupation as a farmer’s son. Mary F (15), James (13), Thomas (10), and Bridie (6) were all listed as scholars. Kathleen Boyle (8 months) was recorded on the census form. The 8 eldest members of the family could read and write. They all spoke Irish and English. Naturally at this early age Kathleen could not read. The occupants of the house lived in 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. John Martins house walls and roof were made of permanent materials. John Martin owned the land his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 cart house.

Patrick Michael Turner (72) was married to Bridget (35). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 17 years, had 4 children, 4 of whom, were still alive in 1911. Patrick Michael documented his occupation as an agricultural laborer. There was no occupation recorded for Bridget. Michael and Bridget lived with their 3 children. Delia (14), James (12) and Mary (10) were listed as scholars. The whole family could read and write. They all spoke Irish and English. The shop was listed as a 2nd class building with 3 front windows and the shop had 3 rooms. The shop walls were made of permanent materials and the roof was made of perishable materials. Michael Connolly owned the land the shop was situated along with 1 barn.

Michael Connolly (73) was married to Bridget (76). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 46 years, had 3 children, 2 of whom, were still alive in 1911. Michael Connolly documented his occupation as a farmer, he could read and write. Bridget did not document her occupation, she could not read. Michael and Bridget lived with their son Martin (45), his wife Winifred (40) and their 3 children, Martin (5), Bridget (3) and Michael (2). Martin recorded his occupation as a farmer’s son. There was no occupation documented for Winifred. Martin and Winifred could read and write. The 4 eldest members of the family spoke Irish and English. The Connolly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Connolly house walls were made of permanent materials and the roof was made of perishable materials. Michael Connolly owned the land his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.

 

Back to top

 


 

This page was added on 19/03/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *