Killerneen

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Pauline Connolly

Killerneen Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Killerneen County Galway

Cill Eirnín, church

Killerneen is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is located in the west end of the parish, bounded on the north and east by Drum, on the south by Pollaturick and on the west by the parish of Liskeevy.

The down survey map 1641 (pre Cromwell) shows that the land was owned by Sir Dominick Browne, a protestant. In 1670, ownership of the land changed to Edward Gough, a catholic. 23 acres of unprofitable land and 38 acres of both profitable and forfeited land were specified.

O’Donovan’s field name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Killerneen, Cill Eirnín, Cill Feirnín and Killerneen. According to this source, Killerneen was the property of Courtney Clarke (Dublin). It contained 137½ acres statue measure including about 35 acres of bog.

Census 1841 – 1851

Killerneen consisted of 138 acres 0 roods 9 perches. In 1841, there were a total of 70 people, 31 were male and 39 were female who occupied 12 houses. The population decreased in 1851 to 47 people, 21 were male and 26 were female who inhabited 8 houses. The poor law valuation rate in 1851 was £37-5-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Courtney K Clarke leased tenements to 8 people. John Mullin paid an annual rent of £7-10-0 for 18 acres 0 roods 30 perches of house, offices and land. Michael Nally, John Nally and Patrick Nally together paid £14-10-0 for 26 acres 0 roods 35 perches of house, office and land. Patrick Flynn paid £7-10-0 for 12 acres 2 roods 7 acres of house, offices and land. Michael Feerick paid £6-10-0 for 17 acres 1 rood 7 perches of land. Bridget Kane paid £8-5-0 for 21 acres 2 roods 37 perches of house, office and land. Dominick Casserly paid £4-15-0 for 13 acres 2 roods 6 perches of house, office and land. Courtney K Clarke retained an area of bog comprising of 28 acres 2 roods 11 perches which cost 10 shillings. The total annual valuation rate was £49-10-0 for 138 acres 0 roods 9 perches.

Census 1901

There were 7 households in Killerneen in 1901. There were 34 inhabitants, 15 were male and 19 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics and were born in County Galway. The 5 women who were married to farmers listed their occupations as farmer’s wives. The census forms which were collected on the 15th April 1901 showed that all houses were listed as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete. The house which the Great Southern and Western Railway Line owned had a roof made of slate, iron or tiles. The rest of the house roofs were made of thatch, wood or other perishable material. Overall, there were a total of 9 farm buildings in the area. The heads of families were: Michael Hughes, John Flynn, Patt Devane, William Casserly, John Nally, Michael Nally and John Mullin.

Michael Hughes (34) worked as a miles man. He lived with his daughter Delia (10) who listed her occupation as a scholar. Michael and Delia could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. Great Southern and Western railway line owned the land on which the house was situated. There were no farm buildings located on the land.

John Flynn (55) worked as a farmer. He was married to Kate (54). They lived with 3 children: John (27), Kate (19) and Mary (15). John and Kate were unmarried. Denis Grehan (3) was a nephew to the head of family. John and his 2 daughters could not read while his wife, their son John and Denis could not read. The 5 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. Denis spoke English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. John Flynn owned the land on which his house was situated along with 2 farm buildings.

Patt Devane (48) worked as a farmer. He was married to Sarai [sic] (47). Although Sarai could not read, Patt was able to read and write. They both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Patrick Devane owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.

William Casserly (50) worked as a farmer. He was married to Mary (48). They lived with their 6 children. Bridget (20), a single woman listed her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Celia (18) who was unmarried worked as a dressmaker. Mary (17) and Maggie (15) recorded their occupations as farmer’s daughters. Winnie (13), Patrick (11) and Willie (8) were listed as scholars. The whole family could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. William Casserly owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.

John Nally (44) listed his occupation as a farmer. He was married to Bridget (45). They lived with their 5 children. Catherine (15), Honnie (12), Thomas (9), Maggie (8) and Patrick (6) were listed as scholars. Although John could not read, Bridget & Patrick could read and the rest of the household were able to read and write. The 4 eldest members of the family spoke Irish and English. The 3 youngest children spoke English. The Nally family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. John Nally owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.

Michael Nally (53) worked as a farmer. He was married to Bridget (53). Michael and Bridget could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Michael Nally owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.

John Mullen (40) recorded his occupation as a farmer. He was married to Maggie (34). They both spoke Irish and English. They lived with 3 children: Delia (4), Patrick (2) and John (8 months). Delia Feerick (16) who worked as a domestic servant was recorded on the census form. The occupants lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. John Mullen owned the land on which his house was situated along with 3 farm buildings.

Census 1911

There were 5 households in Killerneen in 1911. There were 2 unoccupied dwellings. Sabina Giblin owned the land on which her private dwelling was situated. The Great Southern and Western Railway Company owned the land on which its dwelling was located. There were 23 inhabitants, 15 were male and 8 were female. The occupants were born in County Galway and they were all Roman Catholics. The heads of households were: John Flynn, Patrick Devane, William Casserly, Michael Nally and John Mullin. The census forms which were collected on the 20th April 1911 showed that all houses were listed as private dwellings. There were a total of 21 farm buildings (1 stable, 5 cow houses, 5 piggeries, 5 fowl houses, 4 barns and 1 cart house.

John Flynn (69) worked as a farmer. He was married to Catherine (72). Catherine did not document an occupation. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 45 years, had 10 children, 9 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 2 single children. John (37) recorded his occupation as a farmer’s son. Mary (25) had no occupation recorded. Denis Grehan (11) who was recorded as John’s grandson was listed as a scholar. Although Catherine and her son John could not read, the rest of the household were able to read and write. All occupants spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. John Flynn owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Patrick Devane (62) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Sarah (65) who had no occupation recorded. At the time of the 1911 census, Patrick and Sarah were married for 16 years and they had no children. Although Sarah could not read, Patrick was able to read and write. Patrick and Sarah spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Patrick Devane owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

William Casserly (71) recorded his occupation as a farmer. He lived with his wife Mary (68) who had no occupation documented. At the time of the 1911 census, William and Mary were married for 38 years, had 8 children, 8 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 4 single children. Bridget (27) had no occupation recorded. Thomas (26), Patrick (20) and Willie (17) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Thomas Keely (40) and Michael Keely (38) were William’s brothers-in-law. Neither Thomas nor Michael had recorded their occupation. Thomas Casserly could not read but spoke English while the rest of the household were able to read, write and could speak Irish & English. The occupants lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. William Casserly owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Michael Nally (70) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Bridget (70) who did not record an occupation. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 44 years and they had no children. They could read and write. They also spoke English. Michael and Bridget lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Nally owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

John Mullin (58) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Margret [sic] (56) who had no occupation documented. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 19 years, had 5 children, 4 of whom were still alive in 1911. Delia (15), Patrick (13), John (11) and Edward (7) were listed as scholars. Edward could read only while the rest of the family were able to read and write. John and his wife spoke Irish and English. There was no language listed for their children. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 6 farm buildings. John Mullin owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.

Back to top

 
This page was added on 19/03/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *