Cooladooaun

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Pauline Connolly

Cooladooaun Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Cooladooaun, Milltown, Co Galway

Cúil Ui Dhubhain, O’Duane’s back or hill

Cooladooaun is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is located in the north end of the parish. It is bounded on the north by Cormeelick South & Dalgin, on the east by Knockaunkeel, on the south by Russelstown, and on the west by Ballymary & Lack.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) under the name ‘Cunjolta and Shanvallymore’ shows that the land was owned by Lord Birmingham (Protestant). Martin Kirrowan (Catholic) owned the land in 1670 (post Cromwell).

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Cúl Ui Dhubhain and Cooladooaun. According to this source, Cooladooaun was the property of Lord Athenrie of Dublin. It contains 152 acres statute measure, all arable land. An orchard which comprised of 3 acres was specified.

Census 1841 – 1851

Cooladooaun comprised of an area of 151 acres 3 acres 29 perches. In 1841, there were a total of 56 people, 26 were male and 30 were female who occupied 10 houses. The population decreased in 1851 to 18 residents, 8 were male and 10 were female who inhabited 4 houses. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £65-15-0.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, some of the land was owned by Thomas Cullinan and Theobald Donnellan. The occupiers of the land were: Thomas Cullinan, John Clarke, James Feerick, Martin Prendergast, Francis O’Grady, Michael Bermingham, William Diskin and Thomas Diskin. The total land area was 151 acres 3 roods and 30 perches. The overall total annual valuation rate paid was £95-19-0. Thomas Cullinan paid an annual rent of £1-5-0 for 1 acre 1 rood 20 perches of house and land. John Clarke paid £0-10-0 for 20 perches of house and garden. James Feerick paid £0-8-0 for a garden which comprised of 1 rood 20 perches. Martin Prendergast paid £2-10-0 for 2 acres 3 roods of land. Francis O’Grady paid £64-15-0 for 104 acres 2 roods 15 perches of herd’s house, office and land. Michael Bermingham paid £22-15-0 for 32 acres 1 rood 4 perches of land. William and Thomas Diskin together paid £2-16-0 for 10 acres 2 roods 0 perches of land

Census 1901

There were 3 households in Cooladooaun in 1901. There were 11 inhabitants, 7 were male and 4 were female. The occupants were Roman Catholics. The heads of the households were: Patrick Prendergast, Bridget Clarke, and Mary Mullaney. The census forms which were collected on 10th April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of permanent material while the roof of each house was made of perishable material. Overall, there were a total of 5 farm buildings.

Patrick Prendergast (65) who was a widower worked as a farmer. He lived with his unmarried daughter Mary (35) who listed her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Patrick and Mary could read and write. They also spoke both Irish and English. They were born in County Galway. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Patrick Prendergast owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.

Bridget Clarke (52) worked as a farmer. She was married but there is no mention of her husband on the census form. Bridget had 4 unmarried sons. John (20) and his younger brother Bartley (16) both worked as blacksmiths. Michael (23) and James (18) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Although Bridget could not read, the rest of the household were able to read and write. The entire household spoke Irish and English. The family were born in County Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Bridget Clarke owned the land on which her house was situated along with 4 farm buildings.

Mary Mullaney (33) was an unmarried woman who had no occupation recorded. She could read and spoke Irish & English. Mary was born in County Galway. Her 2 nephews and 1 niece who were born in America were recorded on the census form. James J Frawley (7) was a scholar who could read and write. Francis Frawley (5) was also a scholar but could not read. Thomas Frawley (3) naturally could not read at this early age. The house had 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Mary Mullaney owned the land on which her house was situated along but did not own any farm buildings.

Census 1911

There were 3 households in Cooladooaun in 1911. There were 6 inhabitants, 4 were male and 2 were female. They were all Roman Catholics. The residents spoke Irish and English. The heads of the households were: Patrick Prendergast, Mary Mullaney and Bridget Clarke. The census forms which were collected on the 22nd April 1911 showed that the 3 houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while the house roofs was made of perishable material. Overall, there were a total of 6 farm buildings (1 cow house, 1 piggery, 3 fowl houses and 1 forge.

Patrick Prendergast (79) was a widower who was born in County Galway. Patrick could not read and had no occupation recorded. He lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Denis B Kirwan owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 farm building.

Mary Mullaney (60) was a single woman who worked as a farmer. She was born in County Galway. She could read only. Joseph Frawley (20) who was born in America was her nephew.  Joseph worked as an agricultural labourer. He was an unmarried man who could read and write. The house was a 3rd class building and it had 2 rooms. Denis B Kirwan owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 fowl house.

Bridget Clarke (71) was a widowed farmer who could read only. She lived with her 2 single sons. John (30) worked as a blacksmith. He could read and write. James (28) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. John and James were able to read and write. The family were all born in County Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Bridget Clarke owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 forge.

 

Back to top

This page was added on 17/02/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *