Ummeracly West

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Pauline Connolly

Ummeracly West Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Iomaire Claidhe, ridge of the ditch or mound

Ummercly West is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore. It is situated in the south west extremity of the parish bounded on the north by Ummeracly East and on the south east and west by the parish of Lisgeevy.

The Down Survey map under the name ‘Immerackley’ does not show any owner. It states that they were 26 acres of unprofitable land, 147 acres of profitable land and 147 acres of forfeited land.

O’Donovan Field Names Books 1838 cited the spelling as Ommeracly West.

Census 1841 – 1851

Ummercly West consisted of 174 acres 3 roods 10 perches. There were a total of 100 people, 42 were male and 58 were female who inhabited 19 houses. In 1851, the population dropped to 42 people, 20 were male and 22 were female. They inhabited 6 houses. The Poor Law Valuation rate paid in 1851 was £45.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation, Anne Martin owned all of the land in Ummercly West which consisted of 174 acres 3 roods 10 perches. She leased tenements to the following: Bridget Donnelly, Patrick Donnelly, Martin Donnelly, Thomas Feerick, Robert Feerick, and James Connor. Bridget Donnelly, Patrick Donnelly and Martin Donnelly together paid an annual rent of £21-5 for 51 acres 2 roods 34 perches of house, office and land. Thomas Feerick and Robert Feerick together paid £12 for 24 acres 2 roods 30 perches of house, office and land. Thomas Feerick, Robert Feerick and James Connor together rented 16 acres 1 rood 32 perches of land which they paid £4-45. James Connor paid £23 for 58 acres 1 rood 33 perches of house, offices and land. The tenants of the townland paid £0-4-0 for 23 acres 2 roods 1 perch of bog. The total annual valuation paid was £62-14-0.

Census 1901

There were 6 households in Ummercly West in1901. There were 40 inhabitants, 21 were male and 19 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics and were born in County Galway. All women that were married to farmers listed their occupations as a farmer’s wife. The heads of households were: James Feerick, Martin Donnelly, Martin Donnelly, Patrick Boyle, Michael Feerick and Michael O’Connor. The census forms which were collected on the 13th April 1901 showed that every house was built as a private dwelling. All the walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while every roof was made of perishable material.

James Feerick (50) worked as a farmer. He was married to Mary (50). Although they could not read, they spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 1 room. James Feerick owned the land on which his house was situated. He did not own any farm buildings.

Martin Donnelly (60) worked as a farmer. He was married to Mary (45). They lived with their 7 children. Maria (14), Delia (16) and Ellie (5) listed their occupations as farmer’s daughters. John (12), Patrick (10), Daniel (8) and Martin (2) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Martin’s unmarried sister Bridget Donnelly (58) also lived in the house. Bridget along with Martin and Mary could not read. Naturally the youngest child of the household could not read while the rest of the household were able to read and write. The 7 eldest members of the house spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows. 8 people occupied 2 rooms. Martin Donnelly owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 barn.
Martin Donnelly (53) worked as a farmer. He was married to Winnie (47). They lived with their 6 children. Patrick (19) and Michael (6) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Ellen (18), Mary (16), Maggie (14) and Delia (14) recorded their occupations as farmer’s daughters. Everyone aged between 53 and 6 years old were able to read and write. Michael was listed as being an infant. Delia spoke Irish and Michael spoke English. The Donnelly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows. 10 people occupied 3 rooms. Martin Donnelly owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 barn.

Patrick Boyle (52) worked as a farmer. He was married to Mary (45). They lived with their 6 children. Michael (19), Edmond (17), Patrick (15), James (13), Thomas (9) and John (5) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Naturally the youngest child could not read while the rest of the household were able to read and write. The 6 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house and the house had 3 rooms. Patrick Boyle owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Michael Feerick (50) worked as a farmer and was married to Mary (48). Katie Flanigan (18) who worked as a domestic servant was recorded on the census form. Although none of the household could read, they spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Feerick owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house and 1 piggery.

Michael O’Connor (51) worked as a farmer. He was married to Julia (49). They lived with their 7 unmarried children. James (23), Michael (12) and Anthony (10) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Mary (20), Kate (18), Margaret (16) and Sabina (14) documented their occupations as farmer’s daughters. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Connor owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Census 1911

There were 6 households in Ummeracly West in 1911. There were 29 inhabitants, 17 were male and 12 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholic. The heads of households were: James Feerick, Michael O’Connor, Michael Feerick, Patrick Boyle, Martin Donnelly and Martin Donnelly. The census forms which were collected on the 20th April 1911 showed that all houses were built as private dwellings.

James Feerick (72) was a man who lived on his own and worked as a farmer. He was a widower who could not read or write but he spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and the house had just 1 room. The house roof and house walls were made of permanent material. James Feerick owned the land on which his house was situated. He did not own any farm buildings.

Michael O’Connor (70) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Julia (67) who listed her occupation as a farmer’s wife. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 37 years, had 7 children, 7 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 4 single children. Michael (25) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Mary (35), Margaret (30) and Sabina (27) recorded their occupations as farmer’s daughters. Then entire family spoke Irish and English. They also could read and write. They were all born in County Galway. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while the house roof was made of perishable material. Michael O’Connor owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Michael Feerick (72) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Mary (73) who did not have any occupation listed. At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 43 years and they had no children. Although Michael could not read, Mary could read only. They both spoke Irish and English. They were born in County Galway. Michael and Mary lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house walls were made of stone, concrete or brick while the house roof was made of perishable material. Michael Feerick owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 barn.

Patrick Boyle (71) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Mary (65). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 35 years, had 6 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 5 single children. Michael (35), Patrick (31), James (28) and Thomas (20) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. John (14) was a scholar. All occupants spoke Irish and English. They could read and write except for the head of family; Patrick could read only. Patrick was born in County Mayo while his wife and children were born in County Galway. The Boyle family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house roof was made of perishable material and the house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete.

Martin Donnelly (70) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Winifred (68). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 32 years, had 7 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 3 single children. Patrick (30) and Michael (16) listed their occupations was farmer’s sons. Delia (24) recorded her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. The entire family could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. All occupants were born in County Galway. The Donnelly family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house roof was made of perishable material while the house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete. Martin Donnelly (Pat) owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Martin Donnelly (70) recorded his occupation as a farmer. He lived with his wife Mary (56). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 30 years, had 7 children, 7 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 5 single children and Martin’s sister Bridget Donnelly (72).  Patrick (23) and Daniel (20) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Bridget (29) and Ellen (16) worked as a dressmaker. Martin (13) was a scholar. Martin and all his children could read and write. His wife Mary could read only. Martin’s sister Bridget could not read and did not have any occupation listed for her. The entire family spoke Irish and English. They were all born in County Galway.

Back to top 
This page was added on 31/10/2014.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *