Dawros Upper

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Pauline Connolly

Dawros Upper Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Dawros Upper

Damhros Uachtarach, point or wood of the oxen  

Dawros Upper is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is located in the south end of the parish, bounded on the north by Dawros Lower & Russelstown, on the east by the parish of Dunmore & Russelstown, and on the west by Cartron.

The Down Survey Map under the name ‘Lisnecloghnebeg’ shows that Moyler Bermingham, a Catholic owned the land in 1641(pre Cromwell). William Higgins who was also a Catholic owned the land 1670 (post Cromwell).

O’Donovan Field Name Books provides 3 spellings of this townland: Dawrus Upper, Dauris Upper, and Davros. According to this source, the townland was the property of Walter Laurence, Esq. and consisted of 185¼ acres statute measure which was all arable land.

Census 1841 – 1851

Dawros Upper consisted of an area of 185 acres 3 roods 5 perches. There was a population of 69 people in 1841 (36 were male and 33 were female) who occupied 11 houses. In 1851, there were 61 residents, 27 were male and 34 were female. There were 13 uninhabited houses and 1 house unoccupied. The poor law valuation rate paid in 1851 was £61.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Rep Honoria Handcock leased a total of 185 acres 3 roods 5 perches to: John Grady, Patrick Grady, Henry Grady, John O’Donnell, Thomas Ruane and Denis Mooney. Patrick Grady, Henry Grady, and John O’Donnell together paid an annual rent of £46 for 94 acres 3 roods 20 perches of land. Thomas Ruane paid £20 for 29 acres 2 roods 24 perches of house, office and land Denis Mooney paid £8-10-0 for 21 acres 2 roods 20 perches of house, offices and land. Honoria Handcock retained 30 acres 2 roods 12 perches of bog which she paid £0-5-0 for.

Census 1901

There were 6 households in Dawros Upper in 1901 where 29 inhabitants resided, 12 were male and 17 were female. All occupants were Roman Catholics. They were born in County Galway except for Sarah Connolly (45) who was born in County Mayo. The heads of households were: Michael Keane, Winnifred Mooney, Richard Burke, James Feerick, Sarah Connolly and Thomas Connolly. The census return forms which were collected on 6th April 1901 showed that all houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while the house roofs were made of perishable material. Overall, there were a total of 20 farm buildings.

Michael Keane (60) worked as a farmer. He was married to Bridget (50) who had no occupation listed. They lived with their 3 unmarried children. John (27) and Michael (23) recorded their occupations as farmer’s sons. Winnifred (25) listed her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Katie Keane (15) was a niece of Michaels. Katie worked as a seamstress. The whole household could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Keane owned the land on which his house was situated along with 7 farm buildings.

Winnifred Mooney (40) worked as a farmer. She was married but there was no mention of her husband on the census form. She lived with her 6 children. Michael (15) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Kate (14), Mary (10), Margaret (9), Martin (8) and Delia (6) listed their occupations as scholars. The 3 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. Winnifred and Delia could read while the rest of the family were able to read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Winnifred Mooney owned the land on which her house was situated along with 3 farm buildings.

Richard Burke (55) worked as a general labourer. He lived with his sister Kate (62). Richard and Kate were both unmarried. Although they could not read, they both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 4th class house which had just 1 front window and 1 room. Winnifred Mooney owned the land on which the house was situated but did not own any farm buildings.

James Feerick (64) worked a farmer. He was married to Catherine (60). Catherine had no occupation recorded. They lived their 2 unmarried children. James (27) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Maggie (22) recorded her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Although James and Catherine could not read, they spoke Irish and English. James and Maggie were able to read & write and spoke English. The Feerick family lived in a 3rd class house with 5 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. James Feerick owned the land on which his house was situated along with 4 farm buildings.

Sarah Connolly (45) worked as a farmer. She was married but there is no mention of her husband on the census form. She lived with her 3 young children. Thomas (11), Mary (9) and Kate (6) were scholars. Sarah and Kate could read. Mary and Thomas were able to read and write. Sarah and Thomas spoke Irish and English. There was no language listed for Kate or Mary. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Sarah Connolly owned the land on which her house was situated along with 3 farm buildings.

Thomas Connolly (60) worked as a farmer. He was married to Sarah (57). Sarah did not record an occupation. They lived with their 4 unmarried children. Edward (21) and Thomas (24) listed their occupations as farmer’s sons. Kate (20) and Sarah (18) listed their occupations as farmer’s daughters. The family could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. Thomas Connolly owned the land on which his house was situated along with 3 farm buildings.

Census 1911

There were 5 households in Dawros Upper in 1911 census with 21 inhabitants, 8 were male and 13 were female. All of the residents were Roman Catholics. The occupants were born in County Galway with the exception of Sarah Connolly (70) and Sarah Connolly (60) who were born in County Mayo. The heads of households were: Michael Keane, Winifred Mooney, Thomas Connolly, Sarah Connolly, and James Feerick. The census return forms which were collected on 5th April 1911 showed that the houses were listed as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while the house roofs were made of perishable material.

Michael Keane (73) worked as a farmer. He lived with his wife Bridget (65). Bridget had no occupation recorded. At the time of the 1911 census, Michael and Bridget were married for 46 years, had 9 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 2 single children. John (35) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Winifred (32) did not document an occupation. The family could all read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Michael Keane owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling house, 1 barn, and 1 cart house.

Winifred Mooney (51) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 3 single children. Michael (24) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Catherine (22) and Delia (15) had no occupation recorded. Winifred could read only while her 3 children were able to read and write. The family spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Winifred Mooney owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, and 1 fowl house.

Thomas Connolly (69) worked as a farmer. He was married to Sarah (70). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 44 years, had 10 children, 8 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their unmarried daughter Catherine Anne (25). Sarah and Catherine Anne had no occupations recorded. The family could read and write. They also spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Thomas Connolly owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn.

Sarah Connolly (60) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her 2 single sons. John (24) worked as a tailor. Thomas (22) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Sarah could read only while her sons were able to read and write. The family spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. Sarah Connolly owned the land on which her house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, and 1 fowl house.

James Feerick (74) worked as a farmer. He was married to Catherine (75). At the time of the 1911 census, they were married for 48 years, had 6 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their son James (36), daughter Margaret (30), daughter-in-law Norah (35) and 2 grandchildren. James listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. Margaret, a single person recorded her occupation as a farmer’s daughter. Norah had no occupation listed. James and Norah were married for 3 years at the time and they had 2 children: Kathleen (2) and Mary (1). James along with his sister and wife were the only members of the household who were able to read and write. The 5 eldest members of the household spoke Irish and English. The family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. James Feerick owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn.

 

Back to top

This page was added on 19/02/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *