Civil Parish of Addergoole
Cloondroon is situated in the civil parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, County Galway. It is located in the north end of the parish, bounded on the north & east by the parish of Crossboyne (County Mayo) on the south by Coolecknaleagh [sic] and on the west by the Cloonrane.
The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) under the name ‘Cloondrone’ shows that Moyler Bermingham (a Catholic) owned the land. Martin Kirrowan who was also Catholic owned the land in 1670 (post Cromwell). 94 acres of both profitable and forfeited plantation acres are specified.
O’Donovans Field Name Books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Cloondroon, Cluain idir abhain (between streams), Clondroon, Cluain Drun, Clonroon,Cloondroon, and Cloonedrone. According to this source, Cloondroon was the property of Mr. John Blake (Dublin). It contains 357 acres statute measure including about 150 acres of bog and 12½ acres of water. There is a triangulation station in the south east part of this townland.
Cloondroon consisted of an area of 357 acres 1 rood 2 perches. In 1841, there were a total of 9 people, 5 were male and 4 were female who occupied 1 house. In 1851, the population increased to 16 people, 10 were male and 6 were female where they inhabited 2 houses. The poor law valuation paid in 1851 was £94-10-0.
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, John Blake owned the land in Cloondroon. John leased 344 acres 2 roods 28 perches to Charles Blake who paid an annual rent of £143. The remaining area of 12 acres 2 roods 14 perches consisted of water.
There were 2 households in Cloondroon in 1901. There were 10 inhabitants, 6 were male and 4 were female. Everyone was born in County Galway except for Bridget Tully who was born in County Mayo. All occupants were Roman Catholics. James Murphy and Thomas Tully were the heads of households. The census forms which were collected on the 13th April 1901 showed that the houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, concrete or brick. Each house roof was made of perishable material. Overall, there were 8 out offices and farm steadings.
James Murphy (56) worked as a shepherd. He was married to Bridget (50) who had no occupation documented. They lived with their 4 children. Ellen (18) and Margaret (17) did not record an occupation. Michael (14) and John (10) listed their occupations as scholars. Although James could not read, the rest of the household were able to read and write. The 5 eldest members of the household spoke both Irish and English. There was no language listed for John. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms. John D Blake owned the land on which the house was situated along with 5 farm buildings.
Thomas Tully (60) worked as a farmer. He was married to Bridget (55). Bridget did not document an occupation. They lived with their 2 sons. Thomas (15) listed his occupation as a farmer’s son. James (10) recorded his occupation as a scholar. Although Thomas could not read, his wife and children were able to read and write. The entire family spoke Irish and English. The family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows. 4 people occupied just 1 room. John D Blake owned the land on which the house was situated along with 3 farm out-offices or farm steadings.
The census forms which were collected on the 7th April 1911 showed that there was just 1 household in Cloondroon in 1911. This house was built as a private dwelling where 4 residents (3 males and 1 female) lived.
James Murphy (73) worked as a shepherd and farmer. He was married to Bridget (61) who had no occupation listed. They lived with their 2 single sons. Michael (24) and John (21) recorded their occupations as farmer’s sons. Although James could not read, the rest of the household were able to read and write. James and Bridget spoke Irish and English. There was no language listed for Michael or John. The occupants were born in County Galway. They were all Roman Catholics. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 3 rooms. The house roof was made of perishable material while the house walls were made of permanent material. James Murphy owned the land on which his house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, and 1 barn.