Knockaunkeel

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Trish O'Donnell

Knockaunkeel Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Knockaunkeel

Cnocán Caol, narrow hillock/slim mount

Other Forms of the Name with the authority source (if provided) in italics

Knockawnkeel, Cnocán Caol, Cnocan Caol

Knockankeel               By. S. S. Map
Knockankeela             Larkin’s Co. Map of Galway
Knockankeel               Steward of the Property

Knockaunkeel is situated in the northern end of the parish of Addergoole, Barony of Dunmore, in Co Galway. Bounded on the north by Dalagan, on the east by Bealacunneen (Bellaconeen), on the west by Cooladooaun and on the south by Russelstown.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) gave the townland name as ‘Conjulta and Shanvallymore’ and states that the owner was Lord Bermingham (Protestant). The 1670 Down Survey Map (post Cromwell) shows the land was owner by Martin Kirrowan (Catholic).

O’Donovan’s Field Names Books describes the townland of Knockaunkeel as follows; the property of M. B. Bermingham, Esq., Dalgin, Co Galway, it contained 33½ acres, statute measure, and all arable land. M. B. Bermingham was a member of the Birmingham (Dalgin and Millbrook) family.

 

Census 1841 – 1851

The townland of Knockaunkeel in 1851 held an area of 33 acres 2 roods and 27 perches. The population in 1841 was 34 inhabitants, 15 male and 19 female. There were 6 buildings, 5 houses all of which were occupied and 1 building. In 1851 the townland had grown to 42 people, 19 male and 23 female. There were 7 buildings all of which where houses, all of which were inhabited.

The Poor Law Valuation of the townland of Knockaunkeel was £19 10 shillings and 0d (pence).

 

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Knockaunkeel was owned by Michael Bermingham.

Michael Birmingham leased his land to the following people; Sarah Bermingham, (Patrick Meehan, Edward Wynne, Patrick Walsh, James Ryan and Thomas Corliss – jointly leased), (John Graney, Edward Wynne, Michael Connell, Patrick Meehan, Patrick Walsh, and James Ryan – joint lease), John Graney.

Sarah Bermingham paid a total annual valuation rate of £5 15 s 0d for house, offices and land. Patrick Meehan paid a total annual valuation rate of £2 2s 0d for house and garden. Edward Wynne paid a total annual valuation rate of £0 17s 0d for house and garden. Patrick Walsh paid a total annual valuation rate of £0 17s 0d for house and garden. James Ryan paid a total annual valuation rate of £0 17s 0d for house and garden. Thomas Corless paid a total annual valuation rate of £0 15s 0d for a house.

John Graney paid a total annual valuation rate of £3 2s 0d for house, office and land. Edward Wynne paid a total annual valuation rate of £2 12s 0d for land. Michael Connell paid a total annual valuation rate of £2 12s 0d for land. Patrick Meehan paid a total annual valuation rate of £2 12s 0d for land. Patrick Walsh paid a total annual valuation rate of £2 12shillings for land. James Ryan paid a total annual valuation rate of £2 12s 0d for land. John Graney paid a total annual valuation rate of 15 shillings for land.

Michael Bermingham held 3 plantations in fee, measuring a total of 4 acres 0 roods and 32 perches, with a total annual valuation of £2 0s 0d.

The Total Annual Valuation of Rateable Property in Knockaunkeel in 1855 was £30 0 shillings 0d (pence).

Census 1901 

There were 7 households in the townland of Knockaunkeel in 1901. There were a total of 34 inhabitants, 20 female and 14 male. All the houses were built i.e. stone, brick or concrete. All the roofs were made of perishable material i.e. thatch or wood, except 3 which were made of permanent material i.e. slate, iron or tile. All the residents of the townland were Roman Catholic and all were born in Co Galway except one individual who was born in Co Mayo. The heads of the households were: Mary Corliss, John Langan, John Meade, Edward Wynne, Thomas Diskin, James Curran and Thomas Martyn. The 1901 census forms were collected on the 17th April 1901.

Mary Corliss, (50), gave her occupation as a laundress. She was listed as married. Mary spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Mary lived with her daughter Maggie (14), who was a scholar. Maggie spoke English only but was able to read and write. Mary and her daughter lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. Mary Corliss was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

John Langan, (63), was listed as a tenant farmer, he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. John was listed as married. John lived with his daughter Honor (23), who was listed as a daughter under occupation. Honor spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John and his daughter lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. John Langan was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

John Meade, (54), gave his occupation as a farmer, he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. John lived with his wife Catherine (50), and their children Patrick (27), John (21), Julia (18), Lissie (16) and Thomas (9). Catherine was a farmer’s wife, she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. Patrick and John were farmer’s sons; while Julia and Lissie were farmer’s daughters, Thomas was a scholar. All of John’s children were able to read and write. No language was listed for any of the children. All children were listed as single. John and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. John Meade was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

Edward Wynne, (52), was listed as a farmer, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Edward lived with his wife Mary (44) and their children John (17), Annie (12) and James (9). Mary was a farmer’s wife, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John was listed as a farmer’s son, while Annie and James were scholars. No language was listed for any of John’s children. All 3 were able to read and write. Edward and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 5 rooms. Edward Wynne was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

Thomas Diskin, (30), gave his occupation as a labourer, he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. Thomas lived with his wife Bridget (26), and their children Margaret M. (5) ad Patrick (3). Bridget was listed as a labourer’s wife, she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. Margaret M. was listed as a scholar. No occupation was listed for Patrick. Margaret M and Patrick both were unable to read. No language was listed for any of Thomas’s children. Thomas and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Denis B. Kirwan was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

James Curran, (60), was listed as a farmer. He spoke Irish and English but unable to read or write. James lived with his wife Mary (50) and their children Mary (14), Bridget (12), Maggie (8), Ellen (6) and Michael (2). Mary was listed as a farmer’s wife, she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. James’s daughters Mary, Bridget, Maggie and Ellen were all listed as scholars. Michael did not have an occupation listed. Of all the children Mary and Bridget were the only 2 who spoke Irish and English. No language was listed for Maggie, Ellen or Michael. Mary, Bridget and Maggie were all able to read and write, Ellen and Michael were both listed as being unable to read. All of James’s children were listed as single. James and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and 2 rooms. James Curran was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

Thomas Martyn, (45), gave his occupation as a herd. He spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Thomas lived with his wife Celia (40), and their children Thomas (18), Sarah (13), Maggie (11), Norah (9) and Celia (5). Celia was listed as a herd’s wife, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Thomas was listed as a labourer, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Sarah, Maggie, Norah and Celia were all listed as scholars, all 4 spoke Irish and English and all 4 were able to read and write. All of Thomas and Celia’s children were listed as single. Thomas and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 front windows and 4 rooms. Thomas Martyn was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 2 out-offices or farm steadings.

 

Census 1911

There were 8 households in the townland of Knockaunkeel in 1911. There were a total of 33 inhabitants in Knockaunkeel, 19 male and female. All the residents were born in Co Galway except for 3 individuals, 1 born in Co Mayo and 2 born in America. All the residents were Roman Catholic. All the houses were built, with permanent materials i.e. brick, stone or concrete and were classified as private dwellings. All the roofs were built of perishable materials i.e. thatch or wood except 2 which were made from tile or slate. The heads of the households were: James Curran, John Connell, Thomas Martyn, Thomas Diskin, Edward Wynne, John Meade, John Langan and Mary Corless. The 1911 census forms were collected on 22nd April 1911.

James Curran, (72), gave his occupation as a farmer, he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. James lived with his wife Mary (58) and their children Margaret (20), Ellen (18) and Michael (13). James and Mary had been married 26 years in 1911 and had 5 children born alive, all of whom were still alive in 1911. Mary had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. Margaret was a farmer’s daughter; Ellen had no occupation, while Michael was a scholar. Margaret, Ellen and Michael all spoke Irish and English and all 3 were able to read and write. All 3 were also listed as single. James and his family lived 3rd class house with 1 front window and 3 rooms. James Curran was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

John Connell, (58), was listed as a farmer, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John lived with his wife Mary (51) and their children William (21), John (15), Norah (14) and Catherine (8). John and Mary had been married 30 years in 1911 and had 8 children born alive, all of whom were still alive in 1911. Mary had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. William and John were farmer’s sons, while Norah and Catherine were scholars. All 4 children spoke Irish and English and all 4 were able to read and write. All 4 were also listed as single. John and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. John Connell was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Thomas Martyn, (66), gave his occupation as a shepherd and farmer, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Thomas lived with his wife Cecelia (62) and their children Thomas (28) and Sarah (24). Thomas and Cecelia had been married 32 years in 1911 and had 8 children born alive, 7 of whom were still alive in 1911. Cecelia had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Thomas was an agricultural labourer, Sarah had no occupation listed. Both Thomas and Sarah spoke Irish and English and both were able to read and write, both were listed as single. Thomas and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 front windows and 6 rooms. Thomas Martyn was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 cart house.

Thomas Diskin, (45), was an agricultural labourer, he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. Thomas lived with his wife Bridget (38) and their children Margaret (16), Patrick (13), Thomas (10) and Michael (1). Thomas and Bridget had been married 17 years in 1911 and had 4 children born alive, all of whom were still alive in 1911. Bridget had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. Margaret had no occupation listed; Patrick and Thomas were both listed as scholars, while Michael had no occupation either. Margaret, Patrick and Thomas all spoke Irish and English and all 3 were able to read and write. Michael had no language listed and he was listed as being unable to read. Thomas and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 6 front windows and 6 rooms. Denis B. Kirwan was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Edward Wynne, (68), gave his occupation as a farmer, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Edward lived with his wife Mary (60), their son James (20) and grandsons Edward Tobin (12) and Herbert Tobin (11). Edward and Mary had been married 37 years in 1911 and had 6 children born alive, all of whom were still alive in 1911. Mary had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. James was an agricultural labourer, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Edward and Herbert Tobin were the grandsons of Edward Wynne. They were born in America, and their occupations in 1911 were scholars. Both Edward and Herbert were able to read and write, but no language was listed for either of them. Edward and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Edward Wynne was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

John Meade, (72), was a farmer, he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. John lived with his wife Catherine (68), their sons Patrick (38), Thomas (19) and niece Catherine Egan (16). John and Catherine had been married 45 years in 1911 and had 6 children, all of whom were still alive in 1911. Catherine had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. Patrick and Thomas were both listed as farmer’s sons, both spoke Irish and English and both were able to read and write. Catherine Egan had no occupation listed, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Patrick, Thomas and Catherine were all listed as single. John and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. John Meade was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, and 1 fowl house.

John Langan, (80), was a widower, he had no occupation listed. John spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. John lived in a 3rd class house with 1 front window and 1 room. Denis B. Kirwan was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 fowl house.

Mary Corliss, (68), a widow, had no occupation listed. She spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Mary lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Denis B. Kirwan was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 fowl house.

 

Monuments 

 

Back to top

This page was added on 07/10/2014.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *