Coollicknalea

Civil Parish of Addergoole

Trish O'Donnell

Coolicknalea Townland Stone
Milltown Heritage Group
My location
Get Directions

Coollicknalea, Milltown, Co Galway

Coollicknalea, Cúil Leic na Liath

liath (also: léith) grey, grey place, grey horse

cúil corner, nook

leac flat stone or rock, flagstone

 

Other variations the name include: Coollicknalea, Cúl Licne Liath, Cúl Lic na Liath, Coolicknaleagh By. S. S. Map, Coolicknalieea Edm. Kenny, Steward

 

Coollicknalea is located in the central part of the parish of Addergoole, bounded on north by Cloondroon, on the east by Corveelick North and Corveelick South on the south by Ballymary and Cloonacruha, and on the west by Drum.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) gave the townland name as ‘Coolacnelough’ and states that the owner was Tully O’Higgan (Roman Catholic). The Down Survey Map 1670 (post Cromwell) states that ownership of the lands had changed and now belonged to Martin Kirrowman (Roman Catholic).The survey states that there was 17 unprofitable land and 96 profitable land, and 96 plantation acres were forfeited.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books describes the townland of Coollicknalea in 1838 as follows; the property of Mr. H. Handcock, Esq. Carrowantrilla. It contains 314¾ acres, statute measure, including about 150 acres of bog and 5½ acres of water. There is a Trig. Station in the south east part of this townland.

 

Census 1841 – 1851

The townland of Coollicknalea in 1851 held an area of 313 acres, 3 roods and 30 perches. The population in 1841 was 37 inhabitants, 21 male and 16 female. There were 6 houses, all of which were occupied. In 1851 the townland had grown slightly to 41 people, 18 male and 23 female. There were now 7 houses, all of which were inhabited. The Poor Law Valuation of the townland of Coollicknalea was £88.

 

1851 Old Age Pension Search Forms

James Walsh – Application Number C20 3212

James applied for the old age pension on the 26th February 1920. At the time of application, his address was Ballymary, Milltown, Tuam, Co Galway. According to James, he was the son of James and Mary Walsh (nee Mullaney). Application for the pension was successful; James was awarded a pension of £16 and 14 shillings per year.

John Walsh – Application Number C20 8863

John applied for the pension on 18th September 1920. At the time of application, his address was James Walsh, Coollicknalea, Milltown, Tuam, Co Galway. According to John, he was the son of James and Mary Walsh (nee Mullaney). Application for the old age pension was successful and John was awarded a pension of £16 and 14 shillings per year.

 

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Coollicknalea was owned by Most Rev. Jn. Mac Hale. The total area was 313 acres, 3 roods and 30 perches. This land was leased to William Linksey, which included a house, offices and land. The description of the tenement also includes water with 5 acres and 31 roods. William Linksey paid a total annual valuation rate of £121.

 

Census 1901

There were 8 households in the townland on Coollicknalea in 1901 with a total of 55 inhabitants, 32 female and 23 male. All the houses were built of permanent materials i.e. stone, brick or concrete and all the roofs were made from perishable materials i.e. thatch or wood. All the houses were listed as private dwellings. All the residents were Roman Catholic and all were born in Co Galway. The heads of the households were: Margaret Mannion, James Walsh, Margaret Kerrane, Michael Slattery, John Corliss, Thomas Reaney, James Flaherty and James Conroy. The census forms were collected on the 4th April 1901.

There were 26 out offices and farm steadings in this townland in 1901. Unfortunately the B2 census return form is not available from the on-line record. Therefore, we do not have a breakdown of the various out houses and farm buildings for each household.

Margaret Mannion, a widow, gave her occupation as a farmer; she spoke Irish and English and she was able to read only. Margaret lived with her 5 children, Mary (20), Bridget (17), Margaret (15), Annie (12) and Michael (9). Also living in the house is James Mannion (54) (no relation to Margaret). Mary, Bridget, Margaret and Annie were all listed as farmers’ daughters; while Michael was a scholar. All of Margaret’s children spoke Irish and English and all were able to read and write. They were also listed as single. James Mannion was a widower, he had no occupation listed. James spoke Irish and English but he was unable to read. Margaret and her family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 1 room. Margaret Mannion is listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 2 out-offices or farm steadings.

James Walsh, (46), was listed as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. James lived with his wife Bridget (50) and their 3 children, John (18), Bridget (15) and Patrick (11). Bridget was a farmer’s wife, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John was a farmer’s son; while both Bridget and Patrick were scholars. All of James’s children spoke Irish and English and were able to read and write. James and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows. James Walsh was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 5 out-offices or farm steadings.

Margaret Kerrane, (45), a widow, gave her occupation as a farmer; she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. Margaret lived with her 7 children, Daniel (26), Margaret (17), Winnie (14), Peter (10), Kate (7), Honor (6) and Julia (4). Also living with Margaret is her father Patrick Brennan (72). Daniel was a farmer’s son; while Margaret and Winnie were farmer’s daughters. Peter, Kate, Honor and Julia were listed as scholars. Daniel, Margaret, Winnie and Peter were all able to read and write; while Kate and Honor could read only. Julia was unable to read. All of Margaret’s’ children spoke Irish and English. Patrick Brennan was Margaret’s father, he was listed as a widower, who spoke Irish and English but was unable to read or write. Margaret and her family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. Margaret Kerrane was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 3 out-offices or farm steadings.

Michael Slattery, (55), was listed as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Michael lived with his wife Bridget (42) and their 10 children, John (23), Kate (21), Maggie (17), Honor (15), Ellen (13), Michael (11), Annie (9), Martin (7), William (4) and Lizzie (2). Bridget gave her occupation as a general house keeper, she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John was a farmer’s son; while Kate and Maggie were farmer’s daughters. Honor, Ellen, Michael, Annie and Martin were scholars. William and Lizzie had no occupation listed. John spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. The rest of the children spoke English only. All the children were able to read and write, except William and Lizzie. All of Michael’s children were listed as single. Michael and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 front windows and 4 rooms. Michael Slattery was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 6 out-offices or farm steadings.

John Corliss, (40), gave his occupation as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read only. John lived with his wife Mary (38) and their 6 children, Michael (10), Bridget (9), Mary (7), Kate (4), Ellen (4) and John (1). Also living in the household is John’s mother, Mary Corliss (65). Johns’ wife Mary had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. No language was listed for any of the children. Bridget was the only child of John’s who was able to read and write, the other children were all listed as being unable to read. Michael, Bridget, Mary, Kate and Ellen were all listed as scholars. Mary Corliss (John’s mother) had no occupation; she was a widow and spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John and his family lived in a 3rd with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. John Corliss was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 2 out-offices or farm steadings.

Thomas Reaney, (61), was listed as a general labourer; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Thomas lived with his wife Honor (40) and their 4 children, Michael (16), Peter (14), Sarah (12) and Margaret (4). Honor had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. Michael and Peter had no occupation listed; while Sarah and Margaret were scholars. All 4 children spoke Irish and English and were able to read and write. Thomas and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. Thomas Reaney was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 3 out-offices or farm steadings.

James Flaherty, (63), was a farmer; he spoke Irish and English but he was unable to read. James lived with his wife Bridget (60), who spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. James and Bridget lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. James Flaherty was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 2 out-offices or farm steadings.

James Conroy, (60), gave his occupation as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read only. James lived with his wife Mary (54), and their 3 children, James (21), Annie (15) and Thomas (12). Mary was a farmer’s wife; she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. James was a farmer’s son; Annie was a farmer’s daughter, while Thomas was a scholar. James, Annie and Thomas all spoke Irish and English and all were able to read and write. James and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. James Conroy was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 3 out-offices or farm steadings.

 

Census 1911

There were 7 households in the townland on Coollicknalea in 1911. There were a total of 31 inhabitants, 17 male and 14 female. All the residents were born in co Galway and they were all Roman Catholic. All the buildings were built with permanent materials i.e. brick, stone or concrete and were classified as private dwellings. All the roofs were made from perishable materials i.e. thatch or wood. The heads of the households were: Thomas Reany, James Flaherty, Mary Corliss, Michael Slattery, James Conroy, James Walsh and Margaret Kirrane. The census forms were collected on the 21st April 1911.

Thomas Reany, (77), a widower, gave his occupation as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and he was able to read and write. Thomas lived with his adult children, Peter (25) and Margaret (17). Peter was listed as a farmer’s son; while Margaret was a farmer’s daughter. Both Peter and Margaret spoke Irish and English and both were able to read and write. Peter and Margaret were also both listed as single. Thomas and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Thomas Reany was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 cart house.

James Flaherty, (75), was listed as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. James lived with his wife Bridget (76). James and Bridget had been married 34 years in 1911; they had no children born alive. Bridget had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English but like James was unable to read. James and Bridget lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. James Flaherty was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Mary Corless, (79), a widow, had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. Mary lived with her son John (53), daughter in law Mary (55) and her 4 grandchildren, Michael (23), Ellen (17), John (11) and Patrick (9). John gave his occupation as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Mary had no occupation; she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. John and Mary had been married 24 years in 1911 and had 8 children born alive, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. Michael was a postman, he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Ellen, John and Patrick were all listed as scholars. All 3 spoke Irish and English and all were able to read and write. Mary and her family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 3 rooms. John Corless was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Michael Slattery, (66), gave his occupation as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Michael lived with his wife Bridget (55), their children Annie (19), Martin (17) and Teresa (8). Also living in the Slattery household is Bridget Quinn (5) granddaughter to Michael Slattery. Michael and Bridget had been married 35 years in 1911 and had 15 children born alive, all of whom were still alive in 1911. Bridget had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Annie had no occupation listed either; she spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Martin was a farmer’s son; while Teresa and Bridget were both scholars. All 3 spoke Irish and English. Martin and Teresa were both able to read and write; while Bridget was listed as being unable to read. Michael and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 4 front windows and 4 rooms. Michael Slattery was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 2 cow houses, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.

James Conroy, (78), was listed as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English and he was able to read and write. James lived with his wife Mary (72) and son Thomas (24). Mary had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English but was unable to read. James and Mary had been married 43 years in 1911 and had 8 children born alive, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. Thomas was a farmer’s son; he spoke Irish and English and was able to read and write. Thomas was listed as single. James and his family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. James Conroy was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

James Walsh, (63), gave his occupation as a farmer; he spoke Irish and English but he was unable to read. James lived with his wife Bridget (72), son Patrick (24) and brother in law Thomas Cunningham (72). Bridget had no occupation listed; she spoke Irish and English but she was unable to read. James and Bridget had been married 34 years in 1911 and had 5 children born alive, 4 of whom were still alive in 1911. Patrick was a postman, he spoke Irish and English and he was able to read and write. Patrick was listed as single. Thomas Cunningham was listed as an agricultural labourer, he spoke Irish and English but he was unable to read. Thomas was listed as single. James and his family lived in a 3rd class house with 2 front windows and 2 rooms. James Walsh was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Margaret Kirrane, (580, a widow, was listed as a farmer; she spoke Irish and English but she was unable to read. Margaret lived with her children Daniel (33), Peter (22), Catherine (18), Julia (14) and her grandson John Patrick Mannion (2). Daniel was listed as a farmer’s son, Peter was a general labourer and Catherine had no occupation listed; while Julia was a scholar. All 4 of Margaret’s children spoke Irish and English and all were able to read and write. John Patrick had no occupation or language listed. He was unable to read. Margaret and her family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Margaret Kirrane was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery1, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 cart house.

James Mannion, (73), had no occupation listed; he spoke Irish and English but he was unable to read. He was listed as single. James lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Margaret Kirrane was listed as the owner of the land on which the house was situated.

 

 Monuments

Back to top

 

This page was added on 11/03/2015.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *