Monuments in Lisconly
GA016-096—- Class: Barrow – ring-barrow
Description: On an east facing slope in undulating grassland, and immediately south-west of a byroad. A large circular barrow in fair condition, though partially obscured by overgrowth and field clearance. It comprises a flat central area encircled by an internal fosse, inner bank (east – west 54m, north – south 53.5m), intervening fosse and outer bank. No trace of the enclosing elements survive from north to east, probably as a result of the road widening carried out in 1972. However, 3rd ed. of OS 6-inch map (1932) shows small gaps at east and south, the former possibly corresponding to a water-filled hollow on the line of the inner fosse and bank. In 1972, a small inconclusive rescue excavation (Champion and Champion 1973, 13) was carried out on the enclosing elements at north. (see also Waddell 1977, 59)
 GA016-096—- (Archaeological Survey of Ireland, Record Details). http://www.archaeology.ie compiled by Olive Alcock, Kathy de hÓra and Paul Gosling. Uploaded 05th August 2010 (30th April 2014)
This page was added on 22/01/2015.