Recipe given to me by Granny Bridie Acton
150g plain flour 25g butter or margarine
½ tsp bread soda 25g sugar (optional)
Pinch of salt 150-200ml buttermilk
150g Wholemeal flour
To glaze: 1 egg beaten, sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190°c/fan 170°c/gas 5. Grease a baking tray.
- Sieve the plain flour, bread soda and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour.
- Rub in the butter or margarine, then stir in the sugar.
- Gradually add the buttermilk to make a stiff dough stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth underneath. Turn smooth side up, press 2cm in thickness and cut into scones using a small cutter.
- Place on the greased tray. If glazing, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire tray.
Serve with warm butter