Recipe given to me by my granny
What you need:
225g/8oz plain flour (sieved)
175g/6oz butter or margarine
225g/8oz brown sugar
350g fruit mix
100g chopped almonds
100g ground almonds
3 large eggs
100g mixed peel
1 teaspoon mixed spice
100ml of Irish whiskey
How to make:
- Put butter/margarine, sugar, fruit, mixed peel and 50ml of whiskey into a large saucepan.
- Slowly bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until butter/margarine is melted.
- Turn off heat and leave to cool for approximately 30 mins.
- Meanwhile pre-heat oven to 140c and line tin with grease proof paper.
- Stir the eggs, nuts and ground almonds into the fruit mixture and mix well.
- Stir the sieved flour and mixed spice.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake for 2½ to 3 hours. After 2 hours cover with paper if cake is browning too quickly. To check if the cake is baked through, insert a skewer into the middle.
- Make holes on top of warm cake and pour over rest of whiskey.
- Leave cake in tin to cool.
- When cold, wrap in grease proof paper and then tinfoil. Store in a cool dry place.
This page was added on 14/02/2018.
Add a comment about this page