Boxty (Potato Cake)
My granny Bridie Curley from Belmullet Co Mayo makes boxty. She used to make it with her mother and now she makes it for us. Boxty is a potato cake. To make boxty, you need:
- 1 cup raw grated potatoes
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup milk to mix
- Butter for frying
- Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes and eggs.
- Add enough milk to make a batter.
- Heat a heavy based pan over medium heat and add butter.
- Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan.
- Brown on both sides.
- Butter each boxty and serve hot.
This page was added on 14/02/2018.
Add a comment about this page