My nannie’s Pancakes
My recipe is for pancakes that I got from Nanny. The recipe is…
- 100g/4 oz of plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 300ml/10Fl oz of milk
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and then add the beaten eggs.
- Use a balloon whisk to beat the eggs into the flour and gradually whisk in the milk until just smooth.
- Brush a non-stick medium frying pan with the oil and when very hot pour in about 3 tablespoons worth of the batter.
- Quickly tilt the pan from side to side to form a thick layer of batter and cook for one minute.
- Flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook until the underside is slightly golden.
- Continue with the rest of the batter, recoating the pan with oil when required.
- When cooked, we use toppings such as sugar, Nutella, banana etc.
My nanny makes these pancakes regularly for me, but she always makes them on Shrove Tuesday, which is also known as pancake Tuesday, the day before Lent starts. This is an old tradition that is still carried on today. My nanny got this tradition from her mammy. She would also make pancakes on pancake Tuesday. The reason being was to use up the flour, eggs and milk in the house before Lent started. Along time ago these ingredients would have been considered “Luxury” ingredients.
Nowadays in most houses, they are considered basic ingredients. However, my nanny still follows the pancake Tuesday tradition. Now, my mam makes pancakes on pancake Tuesday and I like to help, so I probably will carry on this tradition.
Add a comment about this page